It's official!

It's official!
David Stubbs Photography

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Eating out in New York City

Eating out in New York City is not cheap. Heck, just "eating in" in NYC in not cheap. The first time I saw Apple Jacks selling for $8 a box, I nearly passed out. I mean, don't get me wrong, Apple Jacks are delicious, just not $8-a-box delicious.

But back to eating out. When cereal just won't cut it and I want a night out, like every other New Yorker, I'm faced with drinks ranging in price from $15-$18 and entrees ranging from $25-$35. Date night with the hubs or a night out with a girlfriend will easily run $100 or more. So imagine my surprise while eating out recently at a very nice Italian joint in Midtown and discovering that my bill was.... $0.

$0!

I was out to eat with a girlfriend at Nino's Tuscany on West 58th Street. We were finished with dinner and couldn't figure out why the server hadn't brought our check. I decided to hit the bathroom, and when I came out, my girlfriend told me that our dinner had already been paid for.

What??

Yep, turns out a regular guest sitting at the bar near us decided to treat us to dinner. He left by the time we found out...so he wasn't looking for praise or admiration... he just wanted to do something very nice for two women he didn't know.

It made my night.

Now in true "pay it forward" fashion, I probably should have paid for someone else's dinner that night. But are you crazy? I can't afford that! You see, I'm currently saving up for a box of Captain Crunch.

After our free dinner. At this point, I'm regretting that I didn't order another glass of wine.











1 comment: