It's official!

It's official!
David Stubbs Photography

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Texting early in the morning

One of my biggest pet peeves in life (and trust me, there are many) are people who either call or text early in the day or late at night. I have a girlfriend who inevitably shoots me a text at midnight on a Tuesday. Since she's about 10 years younger than me, I've never asked her to stop, fearing she'll see me as a cranky, old lady.

But seriously, I think there should be rules to our instant communication. I propose that no one calls or texts...
  • Before 8 a.m. on weekdays
  • After 10 p.m. on weeknights
  • Before 10 a.m. on weekends (And really I mean 10 a.m. for you people, and noon for me.)
Who's with me?

A couple of months ago, my phone pinged with a text message at 6:11 a.m. on a Thursday morning. 6:11 a.m.! Because my phone was plugged in across the room, I had to drag my butt out of bed to stumble over and read the dang thing. Instead of being something important, this is what it said...

"Sorry, but I'm changing phone numbers and [I'm] wondering who this is."

Really? You just HAVE to have this information at 6:11 a.m.? I quickly realized this was a person I had to deal with exactly one time in life...it's the man I had to turn our apartment keys into when we moved from Chicago. And since this person lives in Chicago, that means he sent the text at 5:11 a.m. his time. Sheesh. And of course, I couldn't fall back asleep after this blood boiling message.

Later that day, Mike and I were talking about what I should do to get back at him. We came up with some pretty fun scenarios like pretending that I was his baby mama, only he didn't know he had a baby, but I would break the news to him via text! Or I could say he gave me some terrible disease and I wanted him to know, via text! Eventually, this is what I texted back...

"I'm so glad you reached out! The test results came back positive :-( "

Haha, sucker. I thought this was perfect. Vague enough to create wonder...yet not mean enough to create problems. When I later told Mike about what I sent he laughed and said, "I thought you were only joking about sending it!" Nope. No one wakes Baby up at 6:11 a.m.

Sadly, I never heard back from this man. Perhaps he eventually realized who I was, or perhaps he decided he was too scared to find out what those test results were. Either way, he hasn't woken me up since.






No comments:

Post a Comment