It's official!

It's official!
David Stubbs Photography

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Molly's Cupcakes New York City

There are certain moments that change your life. There are experiences that you know even when time passes and your memory fades, you will somehow hang on to this one snapshot forever. Living in New York City for a little over three months now, I have a few of those moments. Playing in the freshly-fallen snow in Central Park, eating brunch and looking up and seeing Whoopi Goldberg sitting nearby and eating one of the best cupcakes I've ever put in my mouth. Scratch that, it's not one of the best, it IS the best.

From the moment I moved to this concrete jungle, a girlfriend of mine who moved to the city three years ago, kept telling me about the things I just had to do in the city. There were the usuals, like certain restaurants I should try and places I should go ice skating, but she also kept mentioning her favorite little gem: Molly's Cupcakes.


So on Sunday, January 13th, (Yes, this was the kind of event that got marked in my calendar), I was having brunch with that girlfriend Jeane, and one of her friends, Michelle. When we finished, they said we should swing by Molly's since it was nearby on Bleecker Street. I was stuffed so I reluctantly agreed. When we arrived, we were greeted with a friendly hello from the owner, John, and shelf after shelf covered in the most beautiful cupcakes I had ever seen. I quickly discovered that many of the cupcakes were not only gorgeously-decorated, but had a fun and delicious-filled center such as cake batter, cookie dough and creme brulee. The girls told me cake batter was their fave, so I gave it a whirl.

Jeane and Michelle instructed me to cut the cupcake in half which uncovers the cake batter inside. I used a fork to make sure I scooped out just enough of the gooey goodness along with the vanilla cake and bright blue frosting. I took one bite...and it was...not exaggerating...life changing. My taste buds were dancing with the first encounter of moist homemade ingredients along with frosting that I proclaimed, "Is going to make me cry." Each bite solidified that this was the most amazing cupcake in New York City. I didn't even have to try any others to know that this would forever be my fave. But just to make sure, I came back three more times in the next week.

Now, just to be fair and for research sake, I have tried two other cupcake shops in NYC. Let me just say, it's kind of like going to Olive Garden when you can have pasta bolognese in Little Italy.

So the next time you're in New York, Chicago or Iowa City, stop by Molly's and tell them Jeannie sent you. And since that probably won't mean much, just tell them you want a life-changing cupcake.






No comments:

Post a Comment