It's official!

It's official!
David Stubbs Photography

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

New York celebrity sightings

When I first became a big city gal 3 1/2 years ago in Chicago, I realized I needed to ditch one small-town girl quality: being too friendly.

See, in Wyoming, people act differently. They look each other in the eye. They smile. They may say "hi there" or "howdy." At the very least, they give a little head nod and perhaps a tilt of the cowboy hat.

In Chicago and New York City? Not so much.

When I first moved to the Chi, I kept up my Wyoming ways by smiling at people passing by. I quickly learned that most men took this as a sign that I was hitting on them, and woman acted suspiciously, thinking I was trying to snag their purse or their man. It wasn't pretty. And it wasn't long before I became like everyone else and just kept to myself. Now, I wouldn't be able to give police a description of a mugger, because I never really look at anyone's face. And well, that's a problem.

See, in New York City, there are celebrities. Open up any US Weekly and you'll see that stars are everywhere. They are buying flowers at local deli's, eating pizza slices on the street and walking hand in hand with their latest loves. And at least one actor was hanging out in a NYC spa with Jeannie Crofts, only she didn't know it.

On Monday night, Mike and I went to Exhale Spa near Columbus Circle for some much needed pampering. Mike spent an hour getting a massage and I spent an hour getting a facial. As we were leaving, he said, "Did you see that guy next to you? That's that actor from 21 Jump Street. You know, the hilarious gym teacher. I think his name is Rob Riggle."

Um, no. Turns out that Rob not only checked out next to me, but I had spent about ten minutes with him in the relaxation lounge. He and his wife were both chilling, talking about their trip to NYC, their dinner plans for the next night and his wife's upcoming hair appointment. I was about six feet away from them as they drank water and kicked up their feet. And then when it was my turn to get my facial, I walked by them both. But in true New York fashion, I never looked at their faces, so I didn't make the connection.

It also turns about that I've seen Rob in a ton of movies and TV shows. The Hangover, 30 Rock, Saturday Night Live, Step Brothers, etc. I read that he started as a comedian and is super good friends with Will Ferrell. Here's the very funny taser scene from The Hangover where he plays the overzealous police officer.



He's so funny!

Oh, and did I also mention that I had brunch next to Whoopi Goldberg a few weeks ago? Yep, I never noticed until we were finishing and my mother-in-law said, "That woman has hair just like Whoopi Goldberg's. Her glasses are just like hers too. Wait, it is Whoopi Goldberg!"

Yep, I didn't notice, because I don't look at people at other tables.

So, needless to say, I'm changing my ways. I'm looking at everyone now! Sorry New Yorkers, I may make you uncomfortable, but it needs to be done. I can't risk getting a pedi next to Justin Timberlake and not knowing it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment