It's official!

It's official!
David Stubbs Photography

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Getting pregnant at 35 versus 25

Well, that was sure fun. On January 4, my husband and I celebrated 10 years together by finding out the gender of our baby. We had an ultrasound a few days prior and had the tech write down the sex on a piece of paper. Then that night, we went out to dinner and opened the envelope. It's a boy! It was pretty darn cool. (And a surprise! We both thought we were having a girl.)

Along with our big surprise, we decided to announce the pregnancy on Facebook that night as well. Our immediate family and a few close friends knew, but that was it. The reaction we got was overwhelming...


511 likes and 189 comments! I couldn't believe it! It was almost as if I was Kim Kardashian who had just posted a post-baby selfie. At one point I said to Mike, "Do you think we'll get 500 likes?" and then boom, it happened. It's our new Facebook record.

I also told him, "You know we wouldn't have gotten this kind of response if we were 25."

See, here's the thing about announcing a pregnancy at 35...everyone is so darn excited for you. No one said it, but I'm sure many people had given up hope on us and figured we were a couple who didn't want (or couldn't have) kids.

I also got to thinking about why getting pregnant at 35 is WAY better than at 25. So here you go...my top 10 list on the advantages of waiting:

1) When I was 25, Facebook had literally just been invented that year, but it was only open to college students. That means I wouldn't have been able to post my announcement and get such great social media loving. (511 likes and 189 comments!) Likely I would have sent out a mass e-mail with about 25 percent of them shooting back to me as undeliverable because people change e-mail addresses like they change shoes.

2) By the time you're 35, your friends have more money, so let's just say it: they give better gifts. I laugh about me in my 20's when I thought the only wedding present I needed to give was me being there. Ha! No gift, just Jeannie Crofts doing the Macarena.

3) When you're 25, you still want to get dressed up and go out with your girlfriends. And let's just say, a woman tends to feel cuter in a short skirt and heels than she does wearing a belly band and maternity pants.

4) Drinking. Oh god, I miss it so. In my 20's I was simply not ready to give up alcohol.

5) By the time you have a baby at 35, you literally don't need to buy a thing. I have people coming out of the woodwork offering me cribs, strollers, bouncy seats, you name it. When I was 25, the only thing my friends could offer me is a used futon and a Barenaked Ladies CD.

6) As you get older, everything aches anyway, so the fact that I wake up with a sore back and stiff legs is nothing new. Winning!

7) We finally have good health insurance. Seriously, for the first time in my life it doesn't cost $900 to get a flu shot.

8) At 35, you have a savings account and a 401K. At 25, you have credit card debt because you really, really, really HAD to have that Kate Spade purse.

9) At 35, your husband is ready to be a dad. At 25, the only thing he's ready for are keg stands and all night poker games.

10) And finally....when I go to the doctor's office for check-ups, I'm considered to be at "advanced maternal age." I'm not sure exactly what that is, but I think it means I'm smarter.




No comments:

Post a Comment