It's official!

It's official!
David Stubbs Photography

Thursday, October 14, 2010

At look at The Social Network

The first thing I do in the morning is check my Facebook page.  It's also the last thing I do at night before going to bed.  During the day, I have to limit myself to looking at it 5 times or less.  It's how I've shared exciting news...the night Mike asked me to marry him, I immediately changed my Facebook relationship status to "Engaged."  The night of our wedding, I was so excited to change that to "Married" and also add on my new last name.  Facebook is the way I've reconnected with former co-workers and friends.  It's the way I've found out who's getting married, having children, getting promoted at work, or just having a really bad day.  Facebook has forever changed my life, and I'm sure you can relate.

The new movie "The Social Network" (Click on this link to watch the trailer.  It's so well done!) is about the birth of this social media phenomenon, and truly one of the best movies I've ever seen.  It's amazing to watch how an argument with a girlfriend inspired Harvard sophomore Mark Zuckerberg to create what would eventually lead to "The Facebook."  The quick banter in the opening scene between Jesse Eisenberg and Rooney Mara (Zuckerberg's soon to be ex-girlfriend) is amazingly well-written and perfectly performed.  I'm guaranteeing this movie and Eisenberg are nominated for Oscar's.  Justin Timberlake, who so well plays the cocky and arrogant Sean Parker, the founder of Napster, will also likely get on Oscar nod.

The movie goes on to show how Zuckerberg is sued by his best friend and three other students who claim the idea for Facebook is theirs.  It shows two twin brothers, Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss, coming to Zuckerberg with the idea for "Harvard Connect," which in the movie leads Zuckerberg to coming up with the idea for Facebook.  I was so impressed with the actors who played the Winklevoss twins, that I immediately googled them when I got home.  Come to find out, they're actually played by unrelated actors, Armie Hammer and Josh Pence.  Director David Fincher decided he would later replace Pence's face with Hammer's so they looked like twins.  Crazy, huh?  But it totally works!  I had no idea.

Finally, I have to say the music throughout this movie is unbelievable, and keeps the film flowing in a way that you're never bored or have the chance to think, "I really have to go to the bathroom."

All in all, this movie is amazing.  It's powerful to see what an idea, money and greed can lead to.  If you're like me, you'll also leave the theater ready to do something great and leave your mark on this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment