It's official!

It's official!
David Stubbs Photography

Monday, July 4, 2011

Anniversary Dinner or groceries for the week--you decide

Do you ever have that feeling of not belonging? The realization that you can't afford anything in the store, and you're fairly certain the workers are going to say, "We don't have anything that fits you" Pretty Woman style.

Celebrating our one-year anniversary last night, Mike and I decided to go to the very nice Spiaggia restaurant on Michigan Avenue. I looked at the prices online, and thought they weren't too bad. Pricey, but you'll never have a one-year anniversary again, right? (Well, let's hope not.)

We arrived at the restaurant dressed  in our finest. Luckily a friend warned us that Mike needed to wear a sports jacket, or they would have given him one that's been worn by a ton of people. Ew. (After working as television extras, we know borrowed clothing always stinks.)

We sat down and looked at the drink menu. The wine list was about 36 pages long and completely daunting, so I asked our waitress to show us the Cabernet section and she recommended a bottle for a cool $300. I smiled and say, "We're looking for something a bit cheaper." She then recommended the $200 bottle. Ouch.

I told her we would need a few more minutes to decide. When she walked away I told Mike, "It's okay, I don't need to drink." He insisted that we both would, so we finally settled on a half bottle of their cheapest wine.

Then it was time for dinner. I ordered a pasta and the server informed me that what I ordered is basically considered an appetizer that's really small, and if I wanted an actual dinner size portion, I would need to order from the other page, where meals are all $50-$150 each. Ouch. I told her we need a few more minutes to decide.

I said to Mike, "Let's just order something small, and then hit Chipolte on the way home." He suggested we order one meal and one appetizer and split it. Throughout the meal, I worried about what else was going to cost money. When a man came by offering table bread, I thought, how I can politely ask him what's cheaper, white or wheat? When the server started pouring us bottled water, she must have seen the look of horror on my face because she quickly said, "The water is complimentary."

All in all, I have to say, the food was really good. But the portions were small and I was still hungry when we left. Luckily we made a CVS run for some Haggen-Daz ice cream after we were done.

The good news? We had a very nice anniversary celebration. The bad news? We don't have money to buy groceries this week. But hey, all married couples struggle with money, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment