It's official!

It's official!
David Stubbs Photography

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Sixteen Candles Back on the Big Screen

This morning, I woke up with a smile on my face because my Valentine's Day was the. best. ever. (Ewe, get your mind out of the gutter.)

Last week, I found out my all-time favorite movie, John Hughes' Sixteen Candles, was back on the big screen for two nights in select cities. Chicago was one of them, and I was pumped. Even though I've seen the 1984 movie at least 100 times, I had to go. It came out when I was 6 years old, so I'd never seen it on the big screen.

I've blogged before about why this movie is so important and popular for women my age. (This summer I even went to the house where it was filmed. Read here.) In the film, Samatha Baker (Molly Ringwald) is geeky and awkward, and has a major crush on the hottest guy in school, Jake Ryan. In the end, she gets the hot guy, which is exactly what every geeky girl like me dreamed of in our glasses/braces/stringy hair stage.

Can I just say Jake Ryan still has the same effect on every women in her 30's or 40's? In the scene where he's laying in bed thinking of Samatha Baker in a wife-beater (Grandma-that's slang for a white tank top), the women behind us actually moaned a little. I chuckled. And in the final scene where the cars clear and Jake's standing in front of his red Porsche, everyone in the theatre gasped and nervously chuckled. 26 years later, and Jake Ryan still makes us giddy.

What was really cool about seeing it on the big screen, is that I saw things I'd never noticed before. In the scene where Long Duk Dong is eating dinner with the family, he's using his utensils like chopsticks. Have you noticed that? When I was describing this to Mike as we were leaving, the guy in front of me said he'd never seen that either. Also, when the grandparents are getting into the car to go to the wedding, watch the dark-haired grandma. There's actually a blooper there--I won't spoil it for you.

Second to Jake Ryan, the lines in the movie are the best!  Here are a few of my favs--feel free to add your own!

* No more yanky my wanky, the Donger need food!
* What are you bitch*** about? I have to sleep under a china man named after a duck's dork.
* Unbelievable. You make someone a bridesmaid, and they sh** all over you.
* I thought you my new-style American girlfriend
* Lake, big lake!
* I really love Rudy. He's totally enamoured of me. I mean, I've had other men love me before, but not for six months in a row.
* What's happenin' hot stuff?






No comments:

Post a Comment