It's official!

It's official!
David Stubbs Photography

Monday, April 11, 2011

You've got to give a little....or a lot

On more than one occasion (including today) I've seen blood on the sidewalks in Chicago (I'm always dying to know the story behind this too. Robbery gone bad?) There have been plenty of times I've tried to buy an L train ticket, but the machine wouldn't work or take my money. After a weekend of partying, it's not uncommon to see a lot of trash on the streets including empty liquor bottles. And if you don't watch where you walk, you may end up ankle deep in dog poo. My point? The Windy City will let a lot of things go, but one thing they're always right on top of--parking tickets.

It's maddening.

I told you a couple of blog posts ago that Mike and I forgot to get an updated city parking sticker (which you need to park anywhere) because we don't drive much. Recently we got a $240 ticket in the mail for parking on quiet street at 8 p.m. a couple of months ago. The ticket is $120, but a $120 late fee was tacked on because we'd moved, and the city didn't have our updated address. So today we went to pay this and get another parking sticker. The sticker itself is $70 but in true Chicago form, the city clerk's office tacked on a $40 late charge. So little did we know when we went to dinner with friends in January, our dinner would really cost another $280.

Sheesh.

Now back to the blood on the sidewalk near LaSalle and Division--I bet for $280 the city can hire an excellent cleaning crew.



No comments:

Post a Comment