It's official!

It's official!
David Stubbs Photography

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Dear Mr. Obama

Dear Mr. Obama,

You're right sir, getting health insurance in this country is the biggest pain in the butt ever. I'm 32, healthy, thin, I don't smoke, I work out 5-6 times a week, and I rarely go to the doctor. I obsessively wash my hands, use anti-bacterial hand wipes and I never touch an L-train pole with bare hands. (Ew, gross.) With those cautions, I've only been sick once this year, but it wasn't sick enough to see a doc.

My husband is even lower maintenance. He's younger than me (I'm what you call a cougar), he's thin, works out and hasn't seen a doc in 13 years. He can be around 95 sick people, but he'll somehow avoid even getting so much as sniffle.

So considering our circumstances, why is the federal government asking us to pay $899 a month for COBRA health insurance? Seriously? We don't even use $899 worth of medical services in a year, so why should we pay that for a month?

Mr. President, the reason my husband and I don't have health insurance is because we're trying to make it on our own as a freelancer and an entrepreneur. We're what drives this country's economy. We pay our taxes, we work hard and we're good to others. And this is how we get re-paid?

Please fix this system soon, or else you might drive me to drinking, smoking and eating, and then I'm guessing I'll never get covered.

Best,

Jeannie Crofts

No comments:

Post a Comment