It's official!

It's official!
David Stubbs Photography

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Dogs+Chocolate=Don't Mix

At what point in our lives do the holidays become less magic-like, and more anxiety-ridden?  At what age would you happily trade in cookies and candy for a large glass of Cabernet or a Jack and Coke?

As children, we can't sleep days before Christmas because we're so excited about the possibility of a new doll or truck.  As adults, we can't sleep because we're worried about aging relatives, traveling during such a busy week, sick kids or being able to pay all the bills. about losing the magic.

To add a little extra fun to the holidays, today one of my dogs decided to get into a little chocolate at my in-laws.  Hershey Kisses to be exact.  Mike and I were getting ready to drive back to Chicago when we discovered the evidence of two empty wrappers on the couch.  Knowing chocolate can be poisonous to dogs, I panicked.

I then did the only thing I could think to do...I googled "What to do if you dog eats chocolate" and texted two of my friends who are dog owners.  Online, I read that I should try to make the dogs throw-up, so we grabbed a bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide and made the doggies drink a teaspoon of it.  Nothing.  We gave them another, and Buckeye threw up.  It's the first time in his life we've actually cheered when he puked on the floor.  With Bailey, we waited and waited and nothing.  I gave her another teaspoon of peroxide, and?  Nothing.  She dry-heaved, but didn't get sick.  We're still waiting to see if she's okay.

I told Mike this will surely prepare us for parenthood. You know...young kids, peanuts, food allergies, making them puke. He didn't seem too amused...

But no really, I totally think we're on to something here.  If our kids get into something they shouldn't, but we don't know who did it, we'll just force all of them to drink peroxide until the guilty party pukes up the evidence.

Your thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. My in-laws dog devoured an entire tub of chocolate and had to go to the vet...I'll bet they will be ok on a few pieces of chocolate. We give our big doggy M&M's once in a while. I know shame!! :/ You will be good parents!! ;D