It's official!

It's official!
David Stubbs Photography

Sunday, December 19, 2010

You Can Never Surrender!

What is it about going home for the holidays that makes so many of us nostalgic?  Nearly every time I go home I look through old photo albums and reminisce.  I watch old home videos and sometimes cry.  I drive by the places where I used to play or go to school.  I look at the rolling plains and think they are so beautiful, and laugh at the fact I thought they were so ugly growing up.  I reconnect with old friends, and feel like we've never missed a beat.

I also love listening to old music, and remembering exactly where I was when I first heard them on the radio or a friend's walk-man.  Here are some of my more vivid song memories...


* Duran Duran's "The Reflex"-- I remember hanging out with my brother in our living room on Cottonwood Drive, listening to this song at full volume and pretending we were in the band.  He played guitar and I was on keyboards.  (By the way, he will totally deny this, I'm sure.)


* Annie Lennox's "No More I Love You's"- I remember nervously driving my cute little red Fiero to pick up my date, Mike Kelly, for the Turnabout Dance.  I was sweating and so nervous!  I was also decked out in red..my red car, red dress, red nails, and yes, even red hair.  (It wasn't a finer moment.)  I listened to this song to try and calm down a bit.
(It truly is a great song!  Super weird video though.)



* Kenny Loggins' "Footloose"--What a great song!  I still tap my feet whenever I hear it.  Back in the 80's, I could NOT get enough of this song.  I vividly remember listening to it one time in my room when I was grounded.  I played the song on my little walk-man, and danced around like I was in the movie.  At 6 years old, I was just sure I was going to be famous someday, and marry Kevin Bacon. (I guess I'll just have to settle for 6 degrees of separation.)



* Corey Hart's "Never Surrender"--This song takes me back to my HUGE crush on Corey Hart.  Yowsers, he was so cute!  (I'm pleased to report, he still is.  I just saw a current video of him on YouTube, and he did not gain 200 pounds. Score!)  I also remember blaring this song on the stereo with my friend Kristen, while we pretended to be dancers in his music video.
I heard this song again last night, which seemed so fitting for my visit home.  It was like I was 7 years old again without a care in the world.
If you haven't listened to this song in awhile, give it a whirl.  (By the way--when Corey Hart has his leather jacket on, and does a dramatic turn to the camera, my heart still skips a beat.  Wow, after all these years Corey...)



What songs remind you of your childhood??

No comments:

Post a Comment