It's official!

It's official!
David Stubbs Photography

Friday, December 31, 2010

Happy New Year!

Can you believe 2010 is winding down?  Aagh!  Where did it go??  It seems like just yesterday it was 2008, and I was planning a wedding for this seemingly distant date of July 3, 2010.  My friends teased me that it was so far off, cars would should be flying by then.

Here we are, and what a disappointment!  Cars aren't flying, but I guess it's not all bad... I did get to marry my best friend this year.

When you ask people about making New Year's Resolutions, many just scoff at the idea, saying, "Resolutions are meant to be broken."  I respectfully disagree.  I think it's important that we're always reaching for something better--perhaps a better job, being a better person, surrounding ourselves by better people, or perhaps getting into better shape.  With the recent passing of three close family friends, I'm reminded that no day is a guarantee, and we only have one shot at this thing, so we'd better make it good.

So here's to 2011...I'm so looking forward to this new year.  I'd like to take more chances and be adventurous.  I want to do things that scare me like trying to get published.  I want to start my Master's Degree.  I want to be a better person...not complain as much and only try and find the good in people.  I want to steer clear of negative people.  I'd like to spend more time with those who make me laugh.  Get to the gym more, and not quit when it hurts.  I want to eat healthier and crave things that are green and not brown.  I want to save more and spend less.  I guess most of all, I want to be the kind of person that I can be proud of.

I encourage you to watch this clip.  It's not the best quality...but it's gets the message across.  This was from Conan O'Brien's farewell speech on the Tonight Show.  I wasn't expecting him to say something so profound, but this message crosses my mind often.

Happy New Year everyone!  Make it a good one.



No comments:

Post a Comment