It's official!

It's official!
David Stubbs Photography

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Did Rainbow Bright get sick?

There comes a time in every ex-newsgal's life when she realizes she doesn't need a bright turquoise blue blazer anymore.  Or a sunshine yellow one.  Or a pumpkin orange one.  Or a...well, you get the idea.

In television news, the brighter the better.  For the 8 years I worked as a reporter and anchor, I bought every rainbow colored jacket I could find.  I searched high and low in department and speciality stores trying to avoid the typical grays and blacks, but instead finding raspberries and chartreuse's.  My closet looks like Rainbow Bright vomited after a night of drinking Green Apple Martinis.

Recently, I've made 3 revelations... 1) I love writing, so I really don't want to work in front of the camera anymore 2) I live in Chicago where the only women who wear these colors have matching top hats and push shopping carts around, and 3) We're moving out of our 31st story apartment in a couple of months, so I don't want to schlep this stuff through another move.


So I've found this really great website called www.tvnewscloset.com where current or former TV people can sell their suits, blazers, jewelry, etc.  That way poor recent college grads breaking into news and making slave wages can actually afford some clothes.  I think it's a win win!


I've decided to pack up 75 of my suits and blazers to consign there.  75!  I finally have room to hang up my winter coats, holla!  Plus it feels good to pack up the past so I can move forward to a brighter, but not raspberry bright, future.

1 comment: