It's official!

It's official!
David Stubbs Photography

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

I'm a hoarder

Is there something you're absolutely addicted to buying?  Perhaps you just love having new china.  Maybe you just can't pass up the latest and greatest hunting equipment. (Pops, this is you.)  Perhaps you live for a new pair of designer shoes (Heather C., this is you.)

For me, I'm totally and completely addicted to toiletries.  If it smells girly, I buy it.  If it paints your nails a cool turquoise blue, it's mine.  If it's a cream that promises to stop the affects of aging, oh lordy, I can't pass it up.  If it makes my hair curly, or straight and smooth, I'll buy two.

During our move, it became painfully obvious that my love for toiletries has actually morphed into a sickness, and well, a full blown addiction.  I realized I don't have one facial astringent, I have four.  I don't have one body lotion, I have 27.  I don't have one shower gel, I have 10.  It's kind of disgusting (in a pretty, floral-y kind of way.)

I've made a promise to Mike that before move #11 in 11 years, I'm going to have less stuff.  Period.  I'm going to simplify my life.  My goal over the next year is to use all my extra products without replenishing them.  How am I going to do?  Well, my first test came today.  I went to CVS which for me normally involves roaming aisle after aisle, buying new face creams and cleansers I'm just sure I can't live without.  Instead, I stuck to my list of sandwich baggies, band-aids and toothpaste.  Holla!  As Mike says, a cluttered space equals a cluttered mind.  I don't about that, I just know it means there's a lot more crap to unpack.

No comments:

Post a Comment