It's official!

It's official!
David Stubbs Photography

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The Name Game

When I was watching the news last night, I was getting so confused watching the coverage of the Rod Blagojevich trial. If you're unfamiliar, he was the governor of this great state of Illinois, until he got caught trying to sell the Senate seat vacated by the now President, Barack Obama. Yep, sell it. He was allegedly willing to have anyone represent this state, as long as they paid enough. So now he's in federal court, and if (when) convicted, will spend a lot of years in prison. (By the way--there are 3 other Illinois governors who are/were serving prison terms for things like corruption. This state is dirtier than preschoolers on fudgesicle day.)

Anyway, when I was watching the coverage of the "Blago" trial, they mentioned Rod's brother, Rob, who took the stand yesterday. They kept saying things like, "Rob say Rod is..." or "Rod and Rob were not close..." How confusing is that? Their parents actually thought it was a good idea to name one son Rob and the other Rod, and they aren't even twins. (I'm sure it's actually Robert and Rodney, but still, they didn't think of what their nicknames would be?? Parents always need to think of that, plus what their child's name will rhyme with. Apparently Barb and Kip didn't think of Jeannie rhyming with "Weenie" or "Meanie." Thanks a lot, guys.)

I've never been a fan of siblings with close names. If I'm a twin, I'm already sharing the same facial features and probably the same bedroom with my sib. I sure as heck don't want to be "Hailey" and "Bailey" or "Chloe" and "Zoe". People would never get your name right.

(By the way--I haven't had coffee yet, so my brain isn't fully functioning. So I cheated a little, and googled "Girl's names that rhyme." You know what else popped up when I typed that? "Girl's names that rhyme with Chuck." So weird! Who googles that??)


2 comments:

  1. I am so with you on chipotle but honey I can give you a gazillion reasons why having children to clean out your fridge is not a great plan. :) Typically they stick to chicken nuggets and applesauce until an age yet to be determined by yours truly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe, I didn't think about that! Kids are even pickier eaters than Mike...hmm.

    ReplyDelete