It's official!

It's official!
David Stubbs Photography

Friday, February 26, 2010

Why you should never move--ever

I lived in Indiana for the first 3 weeks of 2009.  I can't say there was anything great about that time considering I lost my job, had to sell my house, and I never got a glossy photo of WISH TV's David Barras. (Inside joke!) But of course since I was there for 3 short weeks, I have to file Indiana taxes.

Luckily Wyoming doesn't have a state income tax, so I don't have to worry about that.  Only this year I do...come to find out my employer there "accidentally" took out Colorado taxes from my paychecks, so now I have to file for that state, trying to explain that I never lived or worked there.  So in other words, this tax season is a huge pain in the butt.

I use Turbo Tax for my federal taxes which is great.  It's easy and quick, and I can do everything on-line.   I couldn't do the Colorado portion because there's no box to check, "I worked for total idiots who accidentally took out the wrong state taxes."  I thought I was able to do Indiana though because I filled everything out, and it said Indiana owed me $15.  Then as I clicked finish it said, "Unfortunately, since you are filing non-resident status, you can't do this on-line."

I went to Indiana's website, and I realize now that filing taxes there is perhaps the most complicated thing in the world.  Before I can even fill out the main form, I have to fill out forms A-H which are all at least 2 pages long.  Really Indiana, really?  I'll understand the whole history of the Indianapolis 500 before I understand this!  Thank god I'm getting $15 back though.  That makes it all worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment