It's official!

It's official!
David Stubbs Photography

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Facebook sucks you in whether you like it or not

Facebook may be the best and worst invention of all time.  The best because I've been able to reconnect with a ton of people from my past.  People I probably would have never seen or talked to again without this popular networking site.

However, Facebook is also bad because it sucks a ton of time out of your life.  I just talked to one of my friends who canceled his page because he was wasting too much time on it, and not enough time studying for his Master's Degree.  The problem is that everyone posts updates of their days, and pictures of themselves with their kids or their wedding day or climbing Mt. Everest.  I find when I should be looking for jobs, instead I'm reading that "Katie is getting married!" or "Shawn just had to get two new tires for his truck after running over nails" or "Heather is heading to Costco to get some much needed Mac and Cheese."  Of course I don't need to know these things, but for some reason I really want to know these things.  Let's face it, who doesn't like to find out the girl who was snotty to you in high school has gained a bunch of weight.

My Facebook addiction got so bad that as I was reading people's updates, I was hitting the refresh button on my computer screen so I didn't miss a thing.

Now, I'm limiting myself to checking Facebook statuses (is that even a word?) only twice a day.  I know there are clearly better ways to spend my time, such as looking for a job.

1 comment: