It's official!

It's official!
David Stubbs Photography

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Social Experiment gone bad

Recently, Mike and I took part in a Social Experiment with alarming consequences.  When you walk nearly everywhere like we do, you get a pretty good sense of the traffic light patterns and what streets are more or less busy.  To get to most places in the Loop, we walk down Randolph and cross at Columbus.  Columbus isn't usually busy with traffic southbound, so Mike and I know we can cross to the median and wait for northbound traffic to clear.

I don't think everyone has put that much thought into the intersection though.  The other day, he and I did our usual and started walking to the median, even though the sign showed, "Don't Walk."  Pretty soon, I see in the corner of my eye,  nearly 20 other people following us.  I'm even talking about moms with their baby strollers.  As we get to the median, we stop, but everyone else keeps going!  Soon the cab drivers are laying on their horns, and I'm expecting to see bodies flying.  Luckily, the 20 pedestrians are uninjured and quickly run back to the median where Mike and I are.

Word of caution people: Pay Attention!  You know the old saying, "If all your friends started illegally crossing Columbus, would you?"  Okay, maybe the saying isn't just like that, but you get my point.

No comments:

Post a Comment