It's official!

It's official!
David Stubbs Photography

Monday, January 24, 2011

Big Day in Chicago News

Wow, what a crazy day in Chicago news! First, Oprah shocks us with the announcement that she has a half-sister, Patricia, whom she didn't know about until a couple of months ago. Oprah's mother gave Patricia up at birth, and she bounced around between foster homes. Can you imagine how her life is going to change now? I've got to say, I'm a little jealous Patricia. Do you think there's anyway I'm another half-sister? (This might work if the half part means my father is either Powder or a member of the Cullen family.)
www.freewebs.com

Secondly, an appeals court ruled that Rahm Emanuel, President Obama's former Chief of Staff, can not run for Chicago mayor because he did not live here for a year prior to next month's election. I have to say, I'm shocked by this. No matter what your political beliefs are, this just seems plain dumb. How could he live here? He was called upon to serve the leader of this country.

Antonio Perez, Chicago Tribune
One of the main issues is Emanuel's house. He kept his Chicago home, but rented it out. The court ruled that essentially since his family didn't stay here and they didn't keep all their belongings in the house, he can't claim residency.

Who wouldn't rent out their house while they're gone? Even if you have plenty of money, why would you let a house sit empty? We're in a recession people! I think this was fiscally responsible. And what politician wants to live in a different city from his or her family? (Okay, excluding John Edwards and Mark Sanford).

I'm not sure I would vote for Emanuel, but I think we need to at least give him a chance. This afternoon, he announced he will appeal this decision to the state Supreme Court. Good, hopefully they have'll more common sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment