It's official!

It's official!
David Stubbs Photography

Friday, January 28, 2011

That's a first...

I knew marrying Mike would come with a certain amount of benefits. Tax breaks. Someone to open really tight jars (yes Prego, I'm talking about you.) Someone to rub my shoulders after a long day. And perhaps the best benefit...being able to wear a shiny ring on my left finger that is essentially a shield protecting me from the strong force known as douche bags in the bar.

Or at least I thought it would protect me...

Last night, my friend Gene and I went out in Old Town. As soon as we sat down, I saw a couple of guys on the other side of the bar grinning ear to ear. Pretty soon they were heading our way. They introduced themselves and tried chatting with us, despite she and I acting like we were totally enthralled in the IU/IL basketball game, therefore, turning our backs to them. (By the way men-women don't care about sports. If they're acting like they do, they're just blowing you off.) Then, one of them asks her and me for our phone numbers. Gene said no. Then it was my turn, and I was so excited...I finally could use my shiny ring sword! I held up my hand and said, "Sorry, I'm married," with a smile on my face.

What happened next I wasn't prepared for.

He held us his left hand, which also held a shiny ring, and said, "No worries, I am too."

Douche bag.

At the time I laughed about it, and wrote about it on Facebook because I thought it was funny. But the more I think about it today, I get mad imagining his wife waiting at home..perhaps even with a couple of kids...and here he is trying to pick up a couple of women in the bar. Disgusting.

To all the men and women in the world who cheat or try to cheat: You're gross. If you weren't ready to get married, why did you? If you married the wrong person, why'd you get married in the first place? You just thought it was time to do so? You just wanted to appease her or as a woman, you just wanted to wear a big, pretty dress?

Don't do anyone any "favors" by getting married before you are ready to, or decide to marry someone who seems "almost right," because you might just end up hitting on a girl who writes a daily blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment