It's official!

It's official!
David Stubbs Photography

Monday, January 17, 2011

Do you remember when?

There are certain moments in life you remember like they were yesterday.  You can recall exactly where you were when they happened. Maybe you even remember the mood of the day...the weather...what you were wearing...or who you were with.

I still remember being in Mrs. Dennison's 2nd grade class when we got word The Challenger exploded. I walked home with Kristin Mackey and we watched it on the news. I couldn't believe the astronauts, who all seemed like really good people, could be gone.

I also remember watching the news in high school-- Mr. Trowbridge's French class to be exact--when we saw the O.J. Simpson verdict announced. I'm pretty sure that's the first time I ever cussed in front of a teacher when I heard the words "not-guilty."

It seems like only yesterday I was working my first job in TV news as a Master Control Operator, when I turned around to watch the live feed from New York, and saw the first plane hit the World Trade Center. That day, I thought surely the world was falling apart.

I also remember seemingly insignificant things like the time I stood up for myself and yelled at a boy in high school who wouldn't stop teasing me. I remember getting grounded at around age 5, and using the time in my bedroom to jam to the song "Footloose". I also vividly recall the restaurant I used to go to in college that made my clothes reek every time I ate there.

Now, I'll likely remember January 17th, 2011 for the rest of my life.  That's because this is the day.... I found my first gray hair. Sigh. When did I get so old?

It started off as a normal day, celebrating MLK. Because of that, Mike has the day off of work. We decided to go get breakfast, and while I was getting ready in the mirror, I looked closely at my hair, thinking I couldn't get my roots done soon enough this week.  And then, wait...what is that? That hair is really blonde...oh wait, it's not blonde, it's...it's...it's, GRAY! I yanked it, and immediately held it up next to a black dress in my closet to see if perhaps I was mistaken.

I was not mistaken.

I was not ready for this day. I told Mike, preparing to hear my younger-than-me husband tease me about it. Luckily, he didn't, instead he showed me that he has a few gray hairs too. And this was his response, "I'm excited to get gray hair. People take you more seriously that way."

Oh men, do you always have to have a positive outlook on everything? It's kind of annoying.

1 comment:

  1. I like your husband's point of view on gray hair. I am starting to gray way more than I would like to for an early 30's year old. Tell Mike thanks for the shift in perspective!

    ReplyDelete