It's official!

It's official!
David Stubbs Photography

Sunday, January 9, 2011

I like what I'm seeing

I'm seeing a trend in Chicago bars that totally rocks. Deejays are passing up the techno music that vibrates in your chest, doesn't have words and all sounds the same, for songs performed by the greats including Vanilla Ice, Hall & Oates and Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark, or OMD (Okay, I think they're great, alright? If you don't, well then, Forget You! But keep reading.)

Last night we went to two bars in Bucktown that were playing fantastic songs, and the response was electric. All of us 30-somethings were dancing, singing along, and presumably, staying at the bar longer and spending more money than we intended.  I think it's a win-win for everyone.

After having some drinks with girlfriends at the D.O.C Wine Bar in Lincoln Park (cool vibe and good times),  I headed to Cans Bar in Bucktown to meet Mike and his friends. (The serve beer in cans. Cute, huh?) The deejay started playing fantastic songs, so everyone turned the bar into a huge dance floor, and we were all jamming to Miley Cyrus' Party in the U.S.A.(one of my personal favs), and then the new Cee Lo Green song. Have you heard it yet? It's so catchy! Here's the clean version, "Forget you."


Then we went to the innjoy Bar, also in Bucktown, and I was instantly in love. When we walked in, the bar was not only playing the songs, but also the music videos for Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up" (What a hilarious video! There's a man doing back flips with just his undies on. Not kidding.), Michael Jackson's "The Way You Make Me Feel" (I told Mike we're totally remaking this music video. He thinks I'm kidding. I'm not), Bill Medley and Jennifer Warn's "Time of My Life" from Dirty Dancing (I miss you Patrick Swayze), and OMD's 80's favorite "If You Leave" (From the totally amazing 80's movie, "Pretty In Pink." I'll never not love this song.)




Why do we love these songs so much? They take us to a time of no bills, recession, responsibilities and totally great hair. (And let's be honest, who doesn't secretly want to be in an 80's music video?)

No comments:

Post a Comment