It's official!

It's official!
David Stubbs Photography

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

This table is taken

Chicago is a crazy, busy place. There are 3 million people living in the city, with another 6 million living in the surrounding areas. When people ask where I got the name for this blog, I tell them you've heard of "Bright Lights, Big City," right?  For me, it's "Bright Lights, Sweaty Armpits," because I'm a small-town girl exploring the country's 3rd largest city. Doing things like driving, taking public transportation and trying to navigate the streets is enough to give me sweaty 'pits.

One major adjustment for me is getting used to going out to restaurants and bars with all the people.  When I first moved here, Mike and I went to the popular steakhouse, Gibson's. We didn't have a reservation, and so I was told our first chance to get a table was midnight. Midnight! Since then, I've become a reservation Nazi.

In order to get a table or chair in a Chicago bar, you have to be gutsy. You have to be aggressive. You have to be, well, a bitch.

My friend Kenna and me.  I still like her despite our team differences
Last night, we decided to go to McGee's in Lincoln Park to watch the Sugar Bowl with the Ohio State Buckeyes. A girlfriend and I walked in two hours before the game, two hours! And yet there was only one table left.  There were four chairs at that table with a jacket draped over one chair. I told my girlfriend, "Well, no one's sitting there, let's go." She said, "But there's a coat..."  I said, "I don't care, no one's there."

We sat down, and the couple sitting at the table next to us says, "Oh, that table's taken."  I said, "By whom?  Are the people here??"

They wouldn't answer or look me in the eye.

So I kept sitting.  Then a girl from another table came over, and said, "This table is taken."  I calmly asked, "By whom? Someone who isn't here? You can't hold a table for people who aren't in even the restaurant."  She quipped back in a snotty way, "Well, then I'll sit here until they get here."

I rolled my eyes, and said, "Fine." We got up and got chairs at the bar. Here's the thing....I was going to hold my ground and not give up the table, but I didn't want to get dirty looks all night from this girl. We sat at the bar, and before long, the very nice gentleman who was sitting next to that table, came over and gave us a heads up that another table opened up. I thought that was very nice.

But seriously people, holding a table for people who aren't there??? They didn't even show up for another hour! I'm surprised the waitress allowed that. Don't you think that's unfair?

I guess my New Year's resolution to stick up for myself is sort of working. Now, if I can just be the girl who doesn't give up the table, I'll have reached my goal.

1 comment:

  1. This post made me literally "laugh out loud." Thanks for the entertainment. My sister lives in downtown Chicago, so we visit often, and I am always glad to come back home. I could never live in Chicago.

    ReplyDelete