It's official!

It's official!
David Stubbs Photography

Friday, January 21, 2011

Men Can't Live Without Us

In order to save money, I keep our apartment heat turned down really low. Since I work from home, this is tough, but the space heater I bought helps a ton. I just position it next to me at my desk, kitchen table or the couch.

At night, it goes down even further and we suddenly become a mix of characters from Twilight and The Sixth Sense. Our hands and feet are ice cold, and every time we speak, you can see our breath. I turn the heat down to 63, but we also have really drafty windows, so I'm guessing our temp drops to the 50's. (Also not helping: Chicago is -15 today.) In other words, it's COLD.

The other morning, I walked out into the living room to find this (see picture). Mike was sitting on the floor eating his breakfast huddled up next to the spacer heater with the hood of his sweatshirt around his head. I had to laugh, and of course, take a pic. Perhaps this subtle gesture shows I'm making the apartment too cold.

But I told him, "You can always turn the heat up while you get ready for work!"

He said, "I should, but I don't know how to turn the heat up."

I laughingly said, "Just hit the button that has an arrow pointing up."

Here's the thing: because women take care of so much around the house, men often don't have any idea how to do the basics. When I left him for a week, I came home to find no toilet paper on the roll (or anywhere else in the bathroom. I'm guessing Mike held it until he got to work), and there was no soap in the shower. I joked that the toilet paper and soap fairies must have been on vacation that week too.

No comments:

Post a Comment