It's official!

It's official!
David Stubbs Photography

Friday, May 21, 2010

Cloth Bags=Happy Earth


What is our obsession with plastic bags?  My mom and I went to the grocery store today, and the clerk bagged up our small container of sour cream in its own plastic bag.  A whole bag!  When I go to my local CVS, they put my shampoo in a plastic bag, and then put that bag in another bag!  Why does my Pantene need to be double bagged?  America has an obsession with plastic, and something needs to change.

At work I see first hand how people go through a ton of bags.  When a woman buys something small, I always ask if she just wants to throw it in her other bags or her purse.  Several times I've had women insist they need a bag, and then when I had it to them, they stuff the bag in their purse.  Recently when that happened I said, "Oh, I can give you tissue to wrap it in so you don't use a whole bag," She said, "Oh no, I want a bag."  Without thinking, I said, "Well, plastic bags are really bad for the environment, you know."  Oops, I didn't mean to force my values upon someone, but it just slipped out.

According to resuablebags.com, we go through 1 million plastic bags a minute.  A minute!  Worse yet, many bags will pollute our earth for 1,000 years.

For years I've used reusable bags at the grocery, but I now take cloth bags with me everywhere I go.  That way when I need to buy a tub of butter, or a new top (Yes I said need, not want), I put them in my cloth bag.  Kohls.com now has really sturdy bags that fold up really small so you can carry them in your purse.

I know I don't usually have important things to say (unless you consider spray tanning important), but this is close to my heart.  And Ladies--it's easier to hide the new clothes you bought from your husband/boyfriend if they're in a cloth bag.  Just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment