It's official!

It's official!
David Stubbs Photography

Friday, January 15, 2010

Well, folks, I made it!

Well, I've just about made it through my first week of work.  Phew!  I'm sure no one is going to feel sorry for me, but getting back into the grind after being out of work for 5 months is exhausting.  I'm eating lunch at my desk right now because I'm truly too tired to even walk next door to eat with my co-workers.  Plus that would require small talk that I'm just not into right now.

The first week of a new job is tough.  You're trying to prove yourself to your bosses who so graciously hired you, and at the same time, you're trying to learn an entirely new system or career.  I thought about this the other night: I spent 5 years in college learning about broadcasting, and now I'm trying to learn a totally different career in 5 days.  That's how long I trained for, and now this afternoon I'll get started!

One of the things I'm getting used to about working in Chicago is there are no offices, instead we're jammed into a huge room with desks right next to each other.  My boss sits about 3 feet away from me.  Literally, if I sneeze, she's getting some Jeannie DNA.  The good part of that?  She's right there if I have questions.  The bad part?  If (and when) I screw up, she's right there to hear.  Considering most of my job is doing research and interviews on the phone, she'll hear every stutter and stammer that comes out of my mouth.  But I guess she'll also hear my charming personality at work!

I'd like to close this post with a message to Mike:  I'm sorry I've been stressed about work and, therefore, been a hot witch at home.  You're right, me yelling and getting stressed because "There are too many damn restaurants in this city, and I can't decide where I want to make a reservation!" really isn't a big deal in the scheme of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment