It's official!

It's official!
David Stubbs Photography

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Is the customer always right?

Whoever said the customer is always right has clearly never worked in a 1) restaurant, 2) clothing store or a 3) TV station.  I've worked in all three, and let me tell you, people are a-holes.  (Sorry Mama Mays!)  People take out all their problems on you, apparently because it makes them feel better. 

Here's my opinion: it's the not the medium rare steak you're unhappy with, it's your 401k.  It's not the news anchor you don't like, it's your cheating husband.  And really, is the fact that the shirt is no longer on sale today, but it was yesterday going to make you that mad?  I prefer saving my anger for cabbies who nearly run me over, or my dog who poops on the floor.

As I mentioned in a previous blog, I've taken a part-time job at a clothing store.  There is a woman who comes into our store about every week, and she'll ask you to figure out the final price of every sale item that's 40% off.  We could honestly spend all day telling her something is $12.99.  Her response, "Well, isn't it another 40% off?!?!"  We kindly explain each time, $12.99 is with the 40% off.
She'll even interpret your conversations with other customers just to find out how much something is, and if you tell her you'll be right with her, she yells in her thick accent, "Just Shut Up!"

Sheesh.

My bosses solution?  Kill the woman with kindness to land the $13.00 sale.  My solution?  Hide in a dressing room until she leaves.

2 comments:

  1. That's the biggest mistake in the world of business. The customer isn't always right. Habitually problem customers should be dealt with because in the long run, good employees are a lot more valuable than a-hole customers. Some businesses have figured this out. Unfortunately, most haven't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree Rink! I know they say you spend 80% of your time on 20% of the customers, and I don't think that's right.

    ReplyDelete