It's official!

It's official!
David Stubbs Photography

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Midwest versus The West


As the wedding invitations go out, we're slowly getting RSVP's and figuring out who is or is not coming.  When I was talking to my future mother-in-law this weekend, I exclaimed, "We have 23 no's so far!"  To me that means a savings of approximately $2,300, yeah!  She said, "I hope you're just as excited by the people saying yes."  Oops.

Here's what I realized...people in the Midwest (i.e. Mike's family), versus people in other parts of the country (i.e. My family), look at weddings in completely different ways.  In the Midwest, weddings are everything.  You save your money and drop whatever plans you have to go.  You go to ever shower and bachelor/bachelorette party.  You spend $40,000-$50,000 to make it a really good party.

In Wyoming, I've been to a potluck-dinner weddings where they ran out of food.  I've been to backyard weddings.  My brother even eloped (gasp!)  I missed two cousin's weddings because I was working during one, and I couldn't afford to go to the other.  I never thought twice about it.

If I were a Midwesterner, I probably would be asked politely to leave the family because I wasn't holding up my end of the bargain.

And yes, I'm just as excited by the people saying yes (as long as they bring us a really cool/big/shiny gift.)

2 comments:

  1. Yes, this is a big deal...his Family is looking to you to be a SHine-ing Star attraction that will Blow-away each and every guest.
    ..and create many grand-kids....
    Good Luck...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! No grand-kids in their immediate future, just grand-dogs.

    ReplyDelete